Panic. It’s such a nice little word. Panic attacks. Panic on the streets of London. It says a lot.
Apparently the meaning of panic is – “sudden uncontrollable fear or anxiety, often causing wildly unthinking behaviour”. Very apt really.
I think it may be a useful word, which could replace another word. It should perhaps replace “left”. I don’t mean as in “right” and “ left” being changed to “right” and ‘panic”. That would be silly. I mean “left” as in “lefties” being changed to panic is what I had in mind.
You can see why this might work, the left panic all the time: tediously so.
The global warming scam. It started in the 1970s although it was called global cooling at that point, followed by the population explosion, followed by smoking, followed by the loss of the rain forests, followed by acid rain, followed by the hole in the ozone layer, followed by recycling, followed by global warming, followed by climate change, followed by severe weather, followed by obesity epidemic, followed by salt, followed by cycling, followed by sugar and no doubt sooner rather than later breathing.
In all of these scares the reaction has been the same – “if we don’t do something about it in the next 15-20 minutes” the whole planet is doomed I tell you, doomed.
The reality is different.
- Cooling didn’t cool;
- The population did grow but not as it was predicted;
- It’s looking more likely every day now that smoking doesn’t cause nearly as many cancers as was claimed and so much of the evidence used has been lies;
- The rain forests have been growing bigger except in areas where they’ve been torn down to grow environmental biofuels;
- Acid rain isn’t mentioned at all now;
- The hole in the ozone layer is still huge and gets bigger and smaller as it likes;
- The recycling cult continues a pace but has become a rip off and a local council scam;
- Global warming was based on a few years of hot weather then it stopped;
- Climate change was used to include various other weather events which weren’t directly connected to warmth;
- Severe weather is currently still in vogue although even the MET is clear that it’s not that severe and it is well within known parameters.
- Obesity isn’t an epidemic, it’s mainly based on changes within our society away from manual work to much less manual work.
- Salt intake doesn’t matter that much, our bodies just get rid of the salt which isn’t need;
- Cycling isn’t a panacea, if people want to do it them fine but they should stick to the rules and pay up for the privilege like everyone else;
- Sugar is present in a lot of foods and in a number of growing cases it’s there to make the food palatable since the fat has been removed;
- Breathing? The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is around 400 parts per million. When a human breaths out the carbon dioxide count is 16000 parts per million. Pollution!!!! Especially if the person breathing out is doing any sort of exercise like cycling for example.
There will be more scares and phoney claims of doom and gloom all coming from the same sort of people. Someone writes a paper, which says there is a problem. Others then point out that there is indeed a problem and we’ll better do something in the next 15-20 minutes to stop it from being a world ending problem.
They tell their mates. It becomes fashionable to be doing something about it, chatting about it in a café is perfect. Then someone debunks it. Then the believers shriek about it being true. Then they move onto the next thing.
Panic, Panic, panic.
Dare I mention fracking?
Here we go again.